February 14, 2019
Today we've got a very special Valentine's Day blog from top jazz singer and saxophonist, Becki Biggins! You can read her top romantic picks below.
Valentine’s Day. Or Saint Valentine’s Day, if we’re being precise. Once a celebration of the patron saint of young lovers, whom St Valentine married in secret, now a chance for us to tell the one we secretly love how we feel (or to make our other half feel even more loved than usual). So if romance is in the air for you today, you may want to check out my St. Valentine’s Day jazz recommendations, for some of the most beautiful songs and performances out there.
- My Funny Valentine, by Chet Baker. Just wow. This song is beautiful - melancholy, heartfelt, with tongue-in-cheek humour and ending with a beautiful sentiment, this song has it all, and Chet’s delivery is the best I’ve ever heard. His simple, elegant voice brings the songs to life and then some.
- At Last, by Etta James. A classic, the audition song of teenage girls everywhere (for good reason). Sexy, sultry, powerful and incredibly delivered by Ms James. The lyric I’ve found a thrill to press my cheek to, a thrill that I have never known gets me every time.
- Teach Me Tonight, by Nancy Wilson. It’s cool, it’s classy and it’s a little bit cheeky - the story of someone who thinks they have a lot to teach a potential partner, who at first may seem unwilling (but comes round in the end…). Nancy’s delivery is just gorgeous.
- I’ve Got a Crush on You, by Ella Fitzgerald. When I was younger, I had daydreams about singing this song to my crush, who would be sat in the front row of the audience, gazing at me adoringly. After her heard me singing this song just to him, he’d be mine forever. It never happened, but perhaps you could send it as a link to your Valentine? Better than a cheesy card, no?
- L-O-V-E by Nat ‘King’ Cole. THAT VOICE! It’s like honey and butter, heated up and stirred together with lots and lots of sugar…. At least, that’s what it makes me think of! A checklist of the things that make a person special, spelling out the essence of the day. It’s love, isn’t it?
If you’d like to hear these songs in one place, plus a few bonus additions, check out my Spotify Playlist here - https://open.spotify.com/user/bexb71/playlist/1E4hzTIUpqcDFRGJhirqEo
Our huge thanks to Becki for putting this blog together and we hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day with your special someone!
Planning an event? Get in touch
Here at Sternberg Clarke we know how to handle a challenge and we stop at nothing to ensure your event is a night – or day – to remember. Check out our create page and learn more about how we can customise your entertainment to match your needs.
Thinking about booking one of our many talented music acts? Visit our contact page and send us a message.
Holding an event outside London?
Our sister company, Trevor George Entertainment, cater to any and all events and weddings outside London. You can find their website here.
By Henry Fosdike